Italian Beef Barley Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat and barley are tender.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Serve desired amount. Cool remaining soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 281 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Reviews for Italian Beef Barley Stew
"Very good soup. I added a can of diced potatoes and everyone loved it !!! Will definitely make again."
"I added some fresh asparagus and sweet bell peppers. I used a full cup of barley so I had to add broth to thin it a bit. A very good recipe, I will make it again many times."
"I love love love barley! This was a very good hearty soup. I couldn't bring myself to add celery. I just don't like celery."
"I boil the barley (low boil) a little before adding and it makes the stew great. I have also tried a small can of chicken stock added with the canned tomato's and it came out great."
"Very good hearty soup that entire family enjoyed. Husband said this was a keeper!"
"Very good! I used V-8 juice instead of tomato juice . Served it with cornbread. Really hit the spot! Will definitely make again!"
"This was dinner tonight and it is delicious...especially with a little grated parm sprinkled on top!!"