My mother and I made a few small changes to a recipe we found in a cookbook to create this comforting side dish. We increased the vegetable count and tossed in some seasonings to take the flavor up a notch. It's definitely not your average green bean casserole. —Denise Klibert, Shreveport, Louisiana
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups cut fresh green beans (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beans, artichoke hearts, parsley, cayenne and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Artichoke-Green Bean Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p46