Island Pork Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Cut roast in half. Place onion in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add pork. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, curry, salt, pepper, bay leaf and reserved juice. Pour over roast.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Add pineapple during the last hour of cooking.
- 3. Remove the meat, onion and pineapple to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juice to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pork. Yield: 10 servings.
4 ounces cooked pork with 1/4 cup pineapple mixture and 1/3 cup sauce: 341 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Island Pork Roast
"What a wonderful pork roast! I made this for dinner last night ..... made a few adjustments to suit our tastes ...... I added 1 tsp of sesame oil to the cooking liquid, I omitted the curry powder and added chopped red bell pepper and chopped green pepper along with the pineapple chunks the last hour of cooking. The pork roast was tender and juicy .... and adding the chopped peppers added a nice crunch. I will be making this again ..... SOON!!!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! My roast was only 2#, so I cut the recipe in half and cut back the cooking time a bit. (Next time, I'll use the full 6 hours...I like my roasts to fall apart in the slow cooker!) I shredded the pork, used a 20 oz. can of pineapple and served the mixture over noodles...yum! We loved it and I will definitely make it again!"