Island Jerk Chicken
“My husband is crazy about hot sauce and I'm not,” writes Lynn Davis of St. Louis Park, Minnesota. “But to my surprise, I absolutely loved this chicken!”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- In a small saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Transfer remaining marinade to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for basting.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 168 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Jamaican Jerk Chicken in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.