Isaiah’s Gingerbread Pancakes with Apple Slaw
Perfect for weekend mornings, these gingery pancakes are served with a sweet slaw. Silvana suggests using decaf coffee for kids and swapping pears for apples to change things up. —Silvana Nardone, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes10 servings (3 cups slaw)
- 2 cups gluten-free pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 medium apples, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Maple syrup, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the egg yolks, rice milk, coffee, oil and molasses; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the apples, pecans, raisins, lemon juice and honey. Serve with pancakes and syrup.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 225 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Isaiah's Gingerbread Pancakes with Apple-Cinnamon Slaw in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010