Irresistible English Toffee
The name says it all—this toffee truly is irresistible! The secrets to its success are the smoked almonds and Symphony candy bar. —Melanie Hanni, Blackfoot, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
Makesabout 1-1/2 pounds
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) smoked almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Symphony candy bar with almonds and toffee (8 ounces), chopped
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt; stir in remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and extract. Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with candy bar; spread with a knife when melted. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 204 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Irresistible English Toffee in Country Woman Christmas 2011