VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) smoked almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Symphony candy bar with almonds and toffee (8 ounces), chopped
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt; stir in remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and extract. Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with candy bar; spread with a knife when melted. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/2 pounds.
Originally published as Irresistible English Toffee in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p68