Irresistible Carrot Soup
Every time I make a pot of this creamy soup, everyone comments on its appealing taste and eye-catching color. It's irresistible.—Anneliese Deising, Plymouth, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min.
- 3 leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Additional grated carrots, optional
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute leeks in butter for 1 minute. Add carrots and cook 2 minute longer. Stir in broth, rice, mace and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice and carrots are tender. Cool slightly. Puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cream; heat though but do not boil. Garnish with carrots if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 217 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1000mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Carrot Soup in Country Woman January/February 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.