Irish Soda Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, oil and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- 2. Fill six greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 6 muffins.
1 each: 232 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Irish Soda Muffins
"Very moist and tasty. I'm not sure If I did something wrong (I followed the directions exactly except for omitting the raisins), but the batter was more like biscuit dough, it was very thick. Otherwise, they were great and I will make them again."
"Yummy! Definitely increase the raisins."
"Holy Hannah! Just made these with blueberries...they are incredible...doubled the recipe..(which will use your whole egg). Exactly 15 minutes..my 4 yr old helped me and we had a nice bonding time..They are soooo easy and amazing."
"Absolutely delicious! More like a scone than a muffin; everyone loves them. I always make a double batch, yielding 12 muffins. I used vegetable oil and increased the amount of raisins. Only need 15 minutes to bake & removed them from pan immediately."
"This is a perfect recipe for a small family. We just love them! I find using egg beaters works best."
"My husband loved these. I made exactly as instructed the first time. the second time around I did change slightly. I used light olive oil instead of canola oi, light sour creaml and splenda instead of sugar. They turned out just as good. As my husband says "this is a keeper"."
"not a review, but a question. What is vanilla powder mentioned in previous review??"
"Best and miostest soda bread I have ever tasted. We have also added a dash of nutmeg and a 1/4 tsp of vanilla powder and increased raisins yo 3/4 cup."