Irish Colcannon with Spring Onions and Leeks
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish that combines mashed potatoes and cabbage. The addition of green onions and leeks punches up the flavors. It's a delicious side that pairs well with any meat. —Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped leek (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; mash with milk, salt and pepper. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onions and leek in butter until tender. Drain cabbage; add to skillet with potato mixture. Heat through; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 213 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 392mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Irish Colcannon with Spring Onions and Leeks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011