Irish Beef ‘n’ Carrot Stew
My husband was born on St. Patrick's Day, and this is the special meal I make to celebrate that occasion. My family looks forward to it all year.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup Guinness, other dark beer or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2/3 cup additional beef broth
- Mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes
- Place carrots in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. In a skillet, saute onions in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to dish.
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat; reserve flour mixture. In the same skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to baking dish.
- Stir reserved flour mixture into oil; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add basil and beer or broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in honey and additional broth; return to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over beef. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 335 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Irish Beef 'n' Carrot Stew in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.