- 20 medium ears sweet corn
- 2-2/3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon canning salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Place corn in a stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook 3 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut corn from cobs, making about 10 cups. Return corn to the pan; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 pints.
Reviews forIowa Corn Relish
"This sounds like a lovely recipe but, you know what? 20 medium ears of corn is really not a good measurement. I can get ears of corn, yes, but how about a weight or meauring cup. How many ounces or how many cups of corn. Not ears. Can Deanna Ogle, Bellingham, Washington help me out?"