Iones’s Parker House Rolls
I love to eat bread with most of my meals and this roll is my favorite. The sweetness is wonderful.—George Summer, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 24 rolls
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in water. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat milk, 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup sugar and salt to 110°-115°. Stir until butter melts. Pour into a large bowl and add 2 cups flour and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down, divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Form dough into desired dinner roll shapes.
- Place on greased baking pans. Melt remaining butter and brush over rolls. Let rise 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden.