International Stuffed Zucchini
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese with jalapeno or Havarti cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottoms so they sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. Place zucchini shells in a small microwave- and oven-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat, cook beef and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the Havarti cheese, 1/2 cup feta cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- Fill zucchini with meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Top with remaining feta; bake 5 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed zucchini half: 391 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Aug 11, 2015
I made this the other night, we have oodles of squash in our garden. It was a nice twist to a classic. I love that I was able to use some fresh basil from out of the garden.
May 13, 2015
It was tasty. Since I bought zucchini at the store, they were a bit smaller, so I had to use 3. I also used dried basil, but less of it. It was quite tasty and pretty simple to make.
Aug 19, 2011
This recipe has great flavors with the basil and cheeses. I did everything as it said but used ground turkey. A friend that tried it at work also made it at home for her family and used ground meat. It was a great success. I definitely will be making it again.