Inside-Out Stuffed Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 12 ounces)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) Spicy Hot V8 juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef with squash and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup mix, brown sugar, V8 juice, water and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice; return to a boil. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 382 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein.
Feb 7, 2020
This was good. I used frozen butternut squash which was not the best idea. It seemed to disappear while I was trying to get the cabbage cooked. I should have cut the cabbage in smaller pieces. I chopped it like broad noodles and it took longer to cook. Definitely needed to chop it finer… more like medium noodles. I will make it again with my changes.
Jan 12, 2019
This was delicious! My son won’t even taste squash of any kind. My butternut squash had a soft spot and I needed to cook it right away. I cut it up in small pieces that would melt in the pot. I didn’t have any juice so I used a can of diced tomatoes, omitted the sugar (we’re diabetic), used packaged cole slaw mix, and used one cup of rice. Not so many changes that it affected the flavors, though. I’m going to need to add more water or juice since I added more rice. We loved it and my son never suspected it had squash in it!! This is a keeper!
Oct 24, 2014
It was delicious and very easy to make
Mar 19, 2014
This was really good and fairly easy to make :)
Nov 19, 2013
We love this recipe. Simple and we nearly always have all the ingredients readily on hand.
Oct 17, 2013
I didn't add the green peppers...even my kids loved this recipe. My 12 year old has recently asked when I am going to make it again!
Jul 9, 2013
This was a great recipe! I have been trying to find things I can make that don't have gluten. I modified the recipe by using beef broth instead of the water and soup mix and I used more uncooked rice.
Mar 12, 2013
This recipe was delicious. I did keep the rice on the side just so it would keep better.
Jan 10, 2013
Made this with a few tweaks and all my family likes this in the winter. Try sweet italian sausage instead of hamburger for more flavor.
Nov 7, 2012
This was pretty quick and simple to make. I prepared the butternut squash and the green pepper the night before which really made prep time go quickly the night I made it. I really liked the flavor and I felt good that I was feeding my family something with cabbage and squash, things I don't use very often. I do think that it could stand a little more seasoning thought. I added salt and pepper to my bowl and that did the trick. Worth a try!