"We travel a lot, and I want my family to eat right while we're away from home, so I pack a cooler full of these fun sandwiches," relates Paula Truksa of Jewett, Texas. "You can use different luncheon meats, cheeses, sweet or sour pickles and white or wheat bread to suit your tastes."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6 ounces) thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 8 slices thin sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 dill pickle spears, well drained
- Divide ham into eight portions. Top each stack with a slice of cheese. Spread both sides of bread with mayonnaise; place one slice of bread on each stack. If necessary, trim ham to fit bread.
- Place pickle in center of each. Roll up tightly; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
Originally published as Inside-Out Sandwiches in Country Discoveries September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.