Inside-Out French Onion Soup
I came up with this innovative recipe in an attempt to capture the rich flavor of French onion soup in an impressive appetizer. It's comfort food with a festive twist!—Alana Puentes, Howard Beach, New York
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours Bake: 5 min.
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook onions in butter and 2 teaspoons oil over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until liquid is evaporated. Discard bay leaf.
- Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Rub cut sides of halved garlic over toast; top slices with onion mixture and cheese. Bake for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 107 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.