VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook onions in butter and 2 teaspoons oil over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until liquid is evaporated. Discard bay leaf.
- Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Rub cut sides of halved garlic over toast; top slices with onion mixture and cheese. Bake for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Inside-Out French Onion Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p28