- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, broth and pizza sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forInside-Out Cabbage Rolls
"I used ground pork instead of beef, diced tomatoes without the chilies, and regular white rice. Despite buying the smallest head of cabbage we could find, there seemed to be a LOT of cabbage even after only cutting half of it up (so I only did half). It took longer for my cabbage to cook fully, more like 35 minutes. It was pretty tasty, but just a tad bland on the bites without the cheddar. I should have read other reviews and added the entire 14oz of pizza sauce I had (I think that would have helped the flavor). Also it seems like it made more than 6 servings. Overall, a yummy meal that I'll probably make again with a few tweaks."
"Super easy and very good. 5/5 in this household liked it!"
"Delicious! I substituted meat with firm tofu and beef broth with vegetable stock. Also used 12 oz of pizza sauce. Saut?ed the tofu, onions and green pepper before hand then threw everything in the crockpot on high for 4 hours. Added two cups of cooked rice with 45 minutes to go. Served with siracha sauce and it was a hit with all even the picky vegetarian! Also used tomatoes with habaneros instead of chilies :)"
"Not nearly the quick version of an Hungarian classic as it is a Mexican dish with cabbage. Or neither. Has little appeal for me."
"We loved this! I used a 12 oz jar of pizza sauce, and Minute Rice instead of the brown rice......my brown rice didn't turn out. The recipe still turned out great and we will make it again."
"loved this recipe ...didn't have canned tomatoes they called for so i added 1 can no salt tomatoes and some crushed red pepper....also added 1 cup of legumes and cooked with rice when i make it again i would make it in crock pot overnight"
"Love this! We used ground chicken and I added some Sriracha sauce!"
"Surprisingly good & I am NOT a fan of cabbage. :-)"
"On Daniel fast and this made for the perfect dish. Made this as a meatless dish, minus the cheese and added fiesta corn and salt."
"This turned out really really well. I did it in the slow cooker and cooked it on high for 4 hours, adding the cooked rice in the last 45 minutes. I would likely reduce the amount of cabbage I used next time, though I think my "small" head of cabbage wasn't that small because there was a lot of cabbage in this dish. But will definitely make again."