During grilling season, these sandwiches often appear on my menus. Cheese and bacon are stuffed inside tender burgers, which are then topped with caramelized onions. —Mary Bilyeu, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Featured In: Our Best Bacon Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 12 slices Swiss cheese, quartered
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1/2 cup drippings.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs. Brush with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a large bowl; add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 24 patties. Layer 2 pieces of cheese, bacon and remaining cheese onto the center of each of 12 patties. Top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- In a large skillet, cook onions in remaining reserved drippings over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Grill rolls, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on rolls with onions. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p220