Individual Pork & Cranberry Potpies
My neighbor gave me this recipe years ago, and I love how these pies are different from the usual chicken pot pie. The flavor combination in these pies just screams fall, but freezing them allows my family to enjoy them any time of year. They are especially good for an easy dinner during the cold winter months.—Mary Shenk, Dekalb, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, or dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 cups chopped cooked pork
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until berries pop, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; stir into cranberry mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pork; remove from heat.
- On a work surface, unroll pastry sheets. Roll each to a 12-in. circle. Using a 5-in. disposable foil potpie pan as a guide (top side down), cut out eight 5-1/2-in. pastry circles, rerolling scraps as needed.
- Divide pork mixture among eight 5-in. disposable foil pans. Place pastry circles over tops; flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place potpies on baking sheets. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked potpies. To use, bake frozen pies on baking sheets in a preheated 400° oven 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 potpie: 505 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Pork and Cranberry Mini Pies in Freezer Meals 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.