Individual Pork & Cranberry Potpies
My neighbor gave me this recipe years ago, and I love how these pies are different from the usual chicken pot pie. The flavor combination in these pies just screams fall, but freezing them allows my family to enjoy them any time of year. They are especially good for an easy dinner during the cold winter months.—Mary Shenk, Dekalb, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, or dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 cups chopped cooked pork
- 4 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- Adjust oven rack to lower third of oven; preheat oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until berries pop, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; stir into cranberry mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in pork; remove from heat.
- On a work surface, unroll crusts. Roll each into a 14-in. circle. Using a 5-in. disposable foil potpie pan as a guide (top side down), cut out sixteen 6-in. crust circles, rerolling scraps as needed.
- Press one crust circle firmly into bottom and up sides of eight 5-in. disposable foil pans. Divide pork mixture evenly among pans. Place remaining crust circles over tops, pressing bottom and top crusts together firmly; flute edges. Cut slits in crusts.
- Place potpies on baking sheets. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
Freeze option: Cover tightly and freeze unbaked potpies. To use, bake frozen pies on baking sheets in a preheated 425° oven until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 potpie: 727 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Pork and Cranberry Mini Pies in Freezer Meals 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.