Indian Corn Salad
You'll be "a-maized" by this delicious side dish—it's surprisingly quick to fix! For Extra appeal, arrange each serving of veggies to look like a corncob and add basil leaves for the husks.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Large fresh basil leaves
- 24 thin slices green pepper
- In a skillet, saute the red and orange peppers in butter. Stir in the corn, beans, dried basil and salt; heat through.
- Spoon 1/2 cup corn mixture onto each plate; shape into a 4-in. oval. Arrange basil leaves to resemble the husk and green pepper slices for the stalk.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 99 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Indian Corn Salad in Crafting Traditions September/October 2001