Indian Baked Corn
Corn is a popular side dish at our family gatherings, and this deliciously different recipe may be why! So colorful and zesty, it's a blue-ribbon winner and a time-tested treasure.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/3 cup each chopped celery, green pepper and onion
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter,divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare cornbread according to the package directions. Cool and crumble enough to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- To the drippings, add the celery, green pepper and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in the milk, corn, jalapeno, pimientos, sugar, salt, vegetable mixture and bacon. Add 1 cup cornbread crumbs. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with the remaining crumbs. Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until bubbles around the edges and is golden brown.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Spanish Indian Baked Corn in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.