Iced Orange Cutouts
I put a tablespoon of orange zest in both the cookie and icing to make these crispy cookies nice and bright, like a little ray of sunshine. —Wendy Montecalvo, Pleasantville, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Whisk flour, sugar and orange zest; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Knead gently until dough forms. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, gently roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, mix confectioners' sugar, orange juice and zest until smooth. Spread over cookies. Let stand at room temperature until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 89 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.