Iced Brown Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, pecans, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; then roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine brown sugar and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Sift confectioners' sugar into the hot mixture; stir until combined. Drizzle icing over cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 19, 2015
These cookies are tasty even without the brown sugar drizzle. But the extra step really elevates it to a rich level. The drizzle is like the base for praline candies. I hardens pretty quickly as it cools - put it back over heat and stir to restore it to drizzling consistency.
Dec 28, 2012
This is a great tasting sugar cookie recipe. I was excited to try it as I had just read an article rating 10 different sugar cookie recipes and the highest rated cookie was a brown sugar one. Love the nuts in this one too.
Feb 7, 2010
These cookies are worth the effort. The first time I made them I had walnuts on hand and used them instead of pecans. They are great both ways!