- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (110°-115°). In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup boiling water and shortening. Add remaining water, eggs, salt, sugar and yeast mixture.
- Stir in 1 cup of flour at a time, mixing well after each addition, until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into nine portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush rolls with half of melted butter; bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven; brush with remaining butter. Yield: 36 rolls.
Reviews forIcebox Rolls
"These rolls are TO DIE FOR! Add on the fact that they're so easy to make, and you've got a winner."
"i made these for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it..My 4 year old asked me to make more and i am doing so right now :)"