Ice Cream Tunnel Cake
My son found this yummy recipe a few years ago and now it's a yuletide tradition. A boxed mix makes preparation easy. For a fun variation, try mint-chocolate chip ice cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + freezing
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed cake for another use). Cover and place cake shell in freezer for 1 hour.
- Fill tunnel with ice cream; replace cake top. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Just before serving, in a microwave, melt chips and corn syrup; stir until smooth. Stir in cream and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Editor’s Note: If mint chocolate chops are not available, place 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips and a few drops of peppermint extract in a plastic bag; seal and toss to coat. Let stand for 24-48 hours before using.