Ice Cream Tunnel Cake
My son found this yummy recipe a few years ago and now it's a yuletide tradition. A boxed mix makes preparation easy. For a fun variation, try mint-chocolate chip ice cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + freezing
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed cake for another use). Cover and place cake shell in freezer for 1 hour.
- Fill tunnel with ice cream; replace cake top. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Just before serving, in a microwave, melt chips and corn syrup; stir until smooth. Stir in cream and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Editor’s Note: If mint chocolate chops are not available, place 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips and a few drops of peppermint extract in a plastic bag; seal and toss to coat. Let stand for 24-48 hours before using.
Editor's NoteIf mint chocolate chips are not available, place 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract in a plastic bag; seal and toss to coat. Allow chips to stand for 24-48 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 359 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Ice Cream Tunnel Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.