Ice Cream Sundae Caramels
These soft caramels are a hit at holiday time. I came up with the recipe using ingredients I commonly have on hand. It's a favorite!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 pounds (117 servings)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) dark corn syrup
- 2 cups (1 pint) vanilla ice cream, melted, divided
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup ice cream and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture begins to boil. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 242° (nearly firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in remaining ice cream. Return to the heat; cook without stirring to 244° (firm-ball stage). Immediately pour, without stirring, into a buttered 13x9-in. pan. Let cool until firm. Invert candy onto a baking sheet.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread over candy; sprinkle with nuts. Score top into 1-in. squares. Let stand until set. Cut into 1-in squares, follow score marks. Wrap individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
Nutrition Facts1 caramel: 61 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ice Cream Sundae Caramels in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1