- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Confectioners' sugar
- Hot fudge topping and whipped topping
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. In another mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to yolk mixture and mix well. Fold in egg white mixture.
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread jam to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with ice cream. Roll up without towel. Place seam side down on a platter. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar; serve with hot fudge topping and whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forIce Cream Party Roll
"I've been using this recipe for YEARS . It's never failed me. Yes, the batter is very stiff. Just follow "Stamper50"'s review and STIR in about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the eggwhites first and then fold in the rest. I"
"DO NOT MAKE TRY THIS RECIPE!!! I should have read the reviews before baking this...this recipe is completely off. The sugar-flour-cocoa mix forms into a hard blob and it's impossible to mix in the whites without deflating them, even if you mix the whites in in small portions. Don't waste your time and ingredients, find another cake roll recipe."
"I had the exact same problem with folding in the egg whites. By thick they mean partially set cement THICK. I'd definitely suggest following Stamper50's suggestion. Wish I would've read that first. I also didn't care for the addition of the raspberry jam. Gave it an off taste and made it very hard to spread the ice cream. Won't make this one again."
"I haven't made this yet, but have a suggestion for making egg whites easier to fold into batter. Take a small amount of the beaten egg whites and STIR into batter to loosen it up so you can fold the rest in."
"I tried making this cake, when I added the flour mixture to the eggs it was very tough and when I foled the egg whites it was lumpy, not impressed"