VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled apples (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup caramel sundae syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine bananas, apples, sugars and water. Stir in melted butter. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir into banana mixture. Transfer to a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut, stirring occasionally, in a shallow pan at 350° until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Cool slightly. Mix coconut with caramel syrup and sea salt; spread over loaf. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as I Like to Eat Apples and Bananas Bread in Taste of Home September/October 2017