Hurry-Up Hoosier Sandwiches
"These simple egg sandwiches are delicious and quick to make," says Sue Call of Beech Grove, Indiana. "They're great when you're hurring to get to work."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- Mayonnaise and/or mustard, optional
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- In a large skillet, heat butter until hot. Add egg; reduce heat to low. Fry until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken but is not hard.
- Place a cheese slice on each egg. Cook 1 minute longer. Spread each toast slice with mayonnaise and/or mustard if desired. On four toast slices, place an egg with cheese, lettuce leaf and ham slice. Top with remaining toast.
Originally published as Hurry-Up Hoosier Sandwiches in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.