Hungry Man’s Dinner
This recipe from my mother is one I grew up with. As the name implies, it's a casserole that will satisfy the biggest of appetites.— Sharon Howard, Gum Spring, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a skillet, cook beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.