Hungry Man’s Dinner
This recipe from my mother is one I grew up with. As the name implies, it's a casserole that will satisfy the biggest of appetites.— Sharon Howard, Gum Spring, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a skillet, cook beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Hungry Man's Dinner in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book