Hungarian Strawberry Pastry Bars Recipe
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 jar (18 ounces) seedless strawberry jam
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sour cream, water and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into thirds. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Between two large sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1-1/4 cups walnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar. Roll out another portion of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over walnuts. Spread with jam; sprinkle with remaining walnuts and sugar.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry; cut into strips. Arrange in a crisscross pattern over filling. Trim and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 377 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Hungarian Strawberry Pastry Bars
"i loved this recipe! I've also made it with almond extract in place of vanilla, and substituted raspberry and almonds instead of strawberry and walnuts. DELISH! i made it with the Hungarian Paprikash, Spaetzle, and Lightly Dressed Cucumber salad. They were all featured together in one issue, and it was fantastic! I love these!"
"These were absolutely delicious and my husband said I had a winner. However, as an experienced baker, I do think they take longer than 45 min. for the Prep but were worth every minute of preparation time."
"I have been looking for this receipe for over 20 years. My mother used to make this every time we had a cookout with family.I have wanted to make this and could not find the receipe and their is no one left in the family that has the receipe. I will be making this for the up coming holiday."