VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 2 to 3 Hungarian wax or banana peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 dozen Apple Spice Meatballs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- On a baking sheet, sprinkle 1 tablespoon Romano cheese into a 3-in. circle, repeat 15 times. Bake at 300° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a Dutch oven, saute peppers in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add stock. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the meatballs, milk and cream cheese; heat through (do not boil). Serve with Romano crisps. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hungarian Pepper Soup with Romano Crisps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p85