Hungarian Chicken Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter and brown chicken on all sides.
- 3. Combine tomato juice, paprika, sugar and salt; add to chicken. Add bay leaf, broth and onion. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 4. Remove chicken to a platter; keep warm. Reduce heat to low, remove bay leaf and stir in sour cream. Heat through (do not boil). Pour sauce over chicken. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
12 ounce-weight: 457 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Hungarian Chicken
"Not our favorite. However, we used regular paprika. I didn't even know it comes in different varieties so perhaps that would make it better. It was pretty bland. I did only use 1 1/2 T of paprika. It called for 1-2 T. It was easy and smelled great while cooking."
"Nice flavour . I used a mixture of hot & sweet paprika. Omitted the sour cream."
"Very nice :)"
"A little different than my grandmother's recipe, but very delicious. I recommend using Hungarian paprika."
"Very good. I will be making this again!"
"easy and very tastey."
"easy to prepare, simple ingredients and incredible flavor. Delicious, we'll definitely be making this regularly."
"Very good recipe. The only changes I would make next time, would be to take the skin off the chicken, and to a corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce after. Kids loved it!"
"This dish is a keeper, my whole family enjoyed this meal and I have picky eaters in my family. I made this dish a week ago and I already crave seconds."
"I've made this recipe several times already. It turns out delicious every time!"