Hungarian Cabbage Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with paprika; brown on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Arrange apples and onion over cabbage. Sprinkle with caraway, lemon zest and sugar. Top with chicken pieces. Cover; bake for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts12 ounce-weight: 595 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 9g fiber), 46g protein.
Aug 16, 2019
This is always very popular when I serve it to guests. I use chicken breasts but my friend now uses chicken thighs and it's very good that way
Mar 1, 2019
Great Flavor; preparation came out superb!
Nov 8, 2010
This is an excellent fall recipe. I served it with buttered egg noodles. My husband & I both liked it a lot!