Hungarian Cabbage Bake
When we had a bumper crop of cabbage a few years back, I searched for new cabbage entrees. I was delighted to find this one...and happy when my family said they loved it.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with paprika; brown on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Arrange apples and onion over cabbage. Sprinkle with caraway, lemon zest and sugar. Top with chicken pieces. Cover; bake for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts12 ounce-weight: 595 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 9g fiber), 46g protein.
Originally published as Hungarian Cabbage Bake in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.