Humpty-Dumpty Sandwich Loaf
When they were young, our three boys came to expect this loaf stuffed with egg and ham salad on Sunday evening. Folks will gobble it up whether you serve it hot or cold.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch pepper
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- Slice off the top third of the loaf; set top aside. Hollow out the bottom of the loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Crumble part of the removed bread to measure 3/4 cup; set aside. (Discard remaining bread or save for another use.)
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, mustard, garlic and pepper. stir in eggs, celery, ham, onion and reserved bread. Stuff loaf; replace top.
- To serve immediately, cut into 4-in. pieces. To serve hot, brush with butter; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 613 calories, 27g fat (6g saturated fat), 237mg cholesterol, 1519mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.