- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, lemon peel and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar alternately with pineapple juice. Beat in cream. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forHummingbird Cake
"I made it and I love ?? it. My husband always wants one for himself so I double the receipt on all ingredients except the pineapple I just do one can. Compliments every time. It’s just one of the best cakes I ever made. As a matter of fact I am making one right now for a ?? ??"
"Excellent, moist cake. I added 4 ozs. cream cheese to the frosting, but that was the only change I made. I brought it to a church social and it disappeared in a blink!"
"Doesn't say how many hummingbirds to add, or even how to catch them... but looks good anyway!! Thanks for the recipe!"
"This was amazing! Made it for my mother-in-law for Easter. I'm not usually one for pineapple but you can't taste it - just added to the moistness. I did half chopped banana and half mashed ripe banana, which was good for a bit of texture. My only "complaint" was that it was so dense that a slice of three layers was too much to finish. I'd make only 2 layers or even maybe cupcakes next time. LOVED IT otherwise!!"
"I have also made this cake before with slight variations. It is moist, flavorful and transports well. I toasted pecans, and placed them in the bottom of a greased and floured bundt pan.The recipe I have only calls fr 3/4 cup canola oil Everything else is exactly as this recipe. Stir just til all ingredients are moistened. If using a bundt pan bake at 350 for 1 hr to 1hr 10 mins. Cool on rack 15 mins then turn out to rack to cool another 2 hrs. Glaze: 4 oz cream cheese, cubed and softened. 2 c sifted confectioners sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1-2 tbsp milk.Combine and pour over cooled cake immediately. sprinkle with small amount chopped nuts.Enjoy."
"I made this wonderful cake as written for a co-worker's birthday party in the early summer. It was a unique cake with the nuts, pineapple and bananas and very moist. Transported well on the NYC subway and then to the restaurant. My co-workers loved it. I have made a couple other of Nancy Zimmerman's cakes including the banana pound cake. Delicious!"
"Love it! Like others I also make the cream cheese frosting."
"This is one of my favorite cakes.....I have always made a cream cheese frosting to put on it and sprinkled chopped pecans on top. But will try this frosting out"
"Moist and wonderful if you love the flavor of bananas, nuts, and pineapple. I used a cream cheese frosting on it, and we loved it. Next time I will try the pineapple frosting. Made it for a potluck and everyone liked it. Because it was so tall, the layers tipped over once it was cut for the potluck. Next time I may try making it in a 13 x 9 pan."
"I baked this cake for the first time just to have something to go with our coffee in the morning. Since I wanted something for a coffee cake I did not frost it, I just left it plain. My husband loved it. It is very moist . I definitely will bake this cake again and will frost it with a cream cheese frosting."