- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 beef rump roast or eye of round (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- GINGERSNAP GRAVY:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 12 cookies)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Pour hot marinade over; cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning meat twice each day. Remove roast, reserving marinade; pat dry with paper towel. In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in butter. Strain marinade; discard vegetables and seasonings. Add marinade to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours. For gravy, remove 1-1/2 cups of the pan juices to a skillet; add water and sugar. Bring to a boil, gradually dissolving sugar. Add gingersnap crumbs; simmer until the gravy thickens. Serve with sliced roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHoward's Sauerbraten
"This is the best! Been making it for many years always happy when the falls come and we can enjoy this dish all winter long."
"I made this recipe years ago when it was first in TOH and absolutely loved the flavor and it was so tender. So happy to have found it again."
"I made this back in '94 when it was published for my then boyfriend (now husband) and we both thought it was excellent. You definitely must plan ahead (see recipe) but the end result is worth the wait."