Hot Potato Salad for 100
When I was in the service, I decided to learn all I could about cooking from the cooks in the galley. It was quite an adventure. I still use those skills today, particulary when cooking for a large group.—Jene Cain, Northridge, California
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Cook: 30 min.
Makes100 servings (1 cup each)
- 7 pounds bacon, chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 14 cups white vinegar
- 14 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 14 cups chopped onions (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 6 cups chopped dill pickles
- 7 gallons hot cooked sliced peeled potatoes (about 45 pounds)
- In several large skillets, fry bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Add flour to drippings; cook and stir until bubbly.
- In a large kettle, combine the vinegar, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in flour mixture; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper, onion and pickles.
- Place hot potatoes in serving pans. Divide sauce among pans and stir to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.