Hot Potato Salad for 100
When I was in the service, I decided to learn all I could about cooking from the cooks in the galley. It was quite an adventure. I still use those skills today, particulary when cooking for a large group.—Jene Cain, Northridge, California
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Cook: 30 min.
Makes100 servings (1 cup each)
- 7 pounds bacon, chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 14 cups white vinegar
- 14 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 14 cups chopped onions (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 6 cups chopped dill pickles
- 7 gallons hot cooked sliced peeled potatoes (about 45 pounds)
- In several large skillets, fry bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Add flour to drippings; cook and stir until bubbly.
- In a large kettle, combine the vinegar, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in flour mixture; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper, onion and pickles.
- Place hot potatoes in serving pans. Divide sauce among pans and stir to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 408 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 1483mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Hot Potato Salad for 100 in Taste of Home December/January 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.