Hot Lips Cookies
I love recipes with contrasting flavors—like these sweet refrigerator cookies with a subtle "kick" from Cayenne. —Gena Stout, Ravenden, AR
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cashews
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne and pepper; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cashews (dough will be crumbly). Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape into four 8-in. logs; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour longer or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; gently cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.