Hot Lips Cookies
I love recipes with contrasting flavors—like these sweet refrigerator cookies with a subtle "kick" from Cayenne. —Gena Stout, Ravenden, AR
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cashews
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne and pepper; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cashews (dough will be crumbly). Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape into four 8-in. logs; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour longer or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; gently cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 72 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Hot Lips Cookie Crisps in Country Woman August/September 2009