- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen Italian vegetables
- 3/4 cup julienned green, sweet red and/or yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain sausage; add to soup and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forHot Italian Sausage Soup
"I love this soup. I used fresh zucchini, celery, carrots, and white beans instead of the vegetables. Used equal amounts of chicken and beef broth. Used diced tomatoes that I pulse just enough to break them up a little more. Also made garlic bread to eat with the soup and some parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top. Great soup to make for a crowd or to freeze."
"I also added pasta and it was very good! Will be sure to keep this recipe."
"I, too added twice as much tomato sauce, added cookes small ditai whole wheat pasta and doubled the recipe. Very satisfying---tasted like it cooked all day!! A definite keeper!!ToniGommy of 5 (and "pending")"
"I used mild sausage, in place of hot sausage, and it turned out just the same. I also pretty much made my own tomato sauce, while cooking the vegetables, since I was out of store-bought sauce. I added parmesan cheese, white sugar, olive oil, and salt to a 100+ ounce can (I tripled the recipe) of tomato juice and whole tomatoes, which I chopped up. It was a good dish, judging based on my family members? complaints that they ate too much for dinner. NOTE: "julienned" peppers are pretty much just sliced up peppers (in case anyone was wondering, like I was ;)."
"This is just soooo tasty, and excellent on a cold evening! Also versatile-----you really can use just about any type of sausage: hot or mild Italian, turkey, beef , pork or smoked Kielbasa. Can be made in a crock pot ( cook your sausage first). Also freezes well. I guarantee you will love this soup!"
"I don't make a lot of soup, but I thought this was AMAZING! Good and spicy, lots of flavor. I used California style veggies. It is perfect with a grilled cheese!"
"My sometimey 16 year old gobbled this soup up. I used California style veggies which was mainly broccoli and cauliflower and carrots, it worked well. I will definitely make it again."
"Delish and I forgot to add the brown sugar! I used fresh tomatoes from the garden instead of the canned tomatoes. Can't wait for lunch time to get here so I can have some more!"