These sandwiches always make a big hit when they are served! The cooking in our area of western Pennsylvania represents a "melting pot" of Italian, Polish and Pennsylvania Dutch (German), so there's a variety of foods to choose from.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 boneless sirloin tip beef roast (5 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes with juice, cut up
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 to 3 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Semi-hard rolls
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Add remaining ingredients except rolls; cover and simmer until the roast is tender, about 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Add additional water, if necessary, to keep roast simmering in broth. Remove meat from broth and reserve broth. Let the meat stand 20 minutes. Trim any fat and thinly slice meat. When ready to serve, reheat sliced beef in broth. Serve on rolls. Yield: about 20 sandwiches.
Originally published as Hot Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches in Country April/May 1991, p47