Hot Ham & Cheese Slices
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, pepper and onions in butter until tender. Set aside.
- Unfold pastry. Layer the ham, cheese and mushroom mixture off-center on each sheet of pastry. Fold pastry over filling; pinch seams to seal. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut each with a serrated knife into four slices. Freeze option: Allow mushroom mixture to cool before filling pastry. Cover and freeze unbaked filled pastries on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, remove pastries from freezer 30 minutes before baking and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 469 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2014
We really liked this recipe. I cut the recipe in half since there are just two of us. I used canned mushrooms because I get tired of tossing out unused fresh ones.
Nov 18, 2014
Peppers seemed to overpower all the flavors. And, the puff pastry was soggy on the bottom, although I admit to not seeing faithq_06's suggestion of putting the veggies in between the meat and cheese. Puff pastry also didn't "puff" much. In all, not the best thing I've made.
Nov 19, 2011
very rich but quick and tasty. Maybe next time I will go a little lighter on the cheese and cook the veggies in oil instead of butter.
Aug 20, 2011
I love this recipe....I highly recommend putting your layer of sauteed veggies in between your ham and cheese layer because otherwise it gets your puff pastry mushy on the bottom.
Apr 6, 2011
This is a delicious recipe! My picky husband even really liked it. For my son, I left out the mushrooms. I also added bacon. Wonderful!
Apr 4, 2011
We love this easy recipe! delicious!
Feb 8, 2011
Very easy to prepare. I added extra onions & a little garlic. Whole family enjoyed it and requested again.
Dec 31, 2010
This was ok, but I didn't find it particularly special and for the amount of calories and fat in it, definitely not worth it.
Dec 20, 2010
We really liked this with one exception. I baked it on my pizza stone and the bottom of the dough was not cooked. Next time I'll preheat my pizza stone or cook on an aluminum sheet. Otherwise it was tasty!
Nov 8, 2010
Fabulous! Will be making this again.