Hot Green Rice
"Our boys don't like spinach, but they love this casserole," relates Judy Brown of Rockdale, Texas. "I think the jalapeno peppers disguise the spinach taste."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in spinach and rice. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, jalapeno, salt and pepper; add to spinach mixture and heat through. Stir in the cheese.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Hot Green Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.