Hot Dogs ‘n’ Rice
When my husband was a child, his mother made this economical entree during the lean times. It never failed to fill up her hungry family. Kids today like it, too.—Susan Martin, Redwood City, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 5 hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 1-1/4 cups water and hot dogs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and remaining water. Cover and cook until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 373 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 14, 2014
Nice flavor combination and always a hit! I usually make the hot dog mixture without the rice (omitting water) and serve it over steamed rice. Other than that, I follow the recipe as is.