Hot Dog Speed Racer
These hot dogs zoom off the plate when turned into mini racecars. Let kids customize them with a few simple tricks. — Jenni Sharp, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 hot dog bun, split
- 6 pretzel sticks, divided
- 4 sweet pickle slices
- 4 slices ripe olives
- 2 hot dogs, cooked, divided
- 1 miniature pretzel
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 colossal ripe olive
- 2 slices miniature pepperoni
- Place bun on a plate, cut side up. For each wheel, insert a pretzel stick partway into bun; attach a pickle and olive slice.
- Cut a slit 1 in. from the end of a hot dog; insert miniature pretzel for steering wheel. Place in bun.
- Cut remaining hot dog in half for the driver (save remaining half for another use); insert a pretzel stick halfway into
- the cut end.
- Place mustard in a food-safe plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe face onto driver. Insert driver behind steering wheel. Place olive half on driver for helmet.
- Break remaining pretzel stick in half; place on steering wheel for arms. Using mustard, attach pepperoni slices for headlights. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 394 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 1213mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Hot Dog Race Cars in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.