- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 slices American cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the hot dogs, beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and cheese cubes. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, prick pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Fill with hot beef mixture. Cut each cheese slice into four strips; make a lattice topping over pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forHot Dog Pie
"I've made this pie twice now. Based on personal preference, I leave the beans undrained, skip the mustard and use 1/2 - 1 tsp of mustard powder instead; and add a few spices such as chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder; and about 1/2 tsp salt as it can become too sweet (depending on the brand of beans). Otherwise, you can substitute Heinz 57 sauce for the ketchup to cut down the sweetness and add some spice.It can feed my fiance and I for 2 or 3 dinners, which is well appreciated, as we tend to work rotational shifts."
"Made this last week and can only suggest that you don't drain the baked beans. It doesn't say either way on the recipe and so I did and it was kind of a dry meal."
"I have to say when I read the title, I was a little hesitant to make this. However, it was a huge hit in our house with myself, my husband, and our 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old. This was easy to make and uses ingredients that are usually on-hand in our household, I added some onion and bell pepper to the meat while it was cooking to use them up. We all loved the taste of it, too! Simple, quick, and tasty means one happy mom!"
"My whole family loved this."