- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Caraway, poppy or sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add 2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining water and sugar, milk, shortening, salt, 2 eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a 5-in. x 2-in. roll. Place 4 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Beat remaining egg and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with caraway, poppy or sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forHot Dog Buns
"A complete disaster. I have been making bread and rolls, for several years. This was a complete disaster. I followed the directions as written. When I shaped the rolls, the dough was very gooey, and ended up as one big blob on the pan. Very disappointing."