Hot Curried Fruit Compote
This colorful, delicious side dish is a favorite with baked ham but also works well with traditional turkey and other poultry entrees. The curry gives it an interesting flavor, and it's a nice substitute for cranberry sauce. -Carole Martin, Vernon, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) peach halves
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spiced apple rings, drained
- 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Drain the pineapple, peaches and pears, reserving juices; set the fruit aside. In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, sugars and curry powder. Gradually stir in reserved juices until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in apple rings and reserved fruit; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in cherries.